Wednesday 7 December 2011

Being without technology in a technologically reliant age.

It's something most people don't think about in their day-to-day lives, but our society and our culture is being wrapped around technology without us even noticing it.

When I found that my lap-top wouldn't turn on, I wont lie, I was pretty pissed off. However, I resolved that I would get over it and would live on life as normal, I promised myself I wouldn't simply keel over at my lack of a prosthetic technology-limb and begin crying softly into a sock.

How am I supposed to move on with my life
when I'm still in disbelief as to whether or not it's butter!?

As some of my friends know I've had a period (huh huh) without a laptop for the last two days and it's strange just how much I've missed it. I found I needed it for entertainment, for music (which I very surly missed) and to keep up-to-date on current affairs.

I did literally find myself in my room, staring at a blank wall. I tried to snap myself out of it, I got a small wind up radio from the bath-room and placed it atop a box, turned it on and tried to think of something to do. I lit some incense, sipped some fizz, scratched my head, laid down, sat up, made noises with my mouth, coughed, sniffed, did a small dance to no music, and just generally existed.

Existence...

This was ridiculous, I liked to think of myself as someone who didn't need technology to fill my life, I liked to think of myself as a free-spirit bouncing from place to place on life's drifting whims. But indeed I'm more of a shell fish, deciding that actually it's bloody cold out there and i'd rather stay inside with my technology thank you very much.

In the end my super productive day consisted of not going out anywhere because it was windy and rainy and, besides, I had nothing to do, sitting in-front of the TV looking for something good to put on, which, of course, there never is, and staring dumbly into space, playing with my belly-button.

Although I did make this for my tomato plant.

Oh look, a tomato plant.

So it wasn't all bad.

I think it's interesting to consider, though, the amount we rely on technology now-a-days to live a normal life; people once dreamed of a time when computers would do all of the menial jobs for us, leaving us free to pursue far more important things.

Maybe all those dreams of android housemaids and cyber-kenetic prostitutes are closer than we think...

One day...

1 comment:

  1. #1 you nicely described my reasons to not watch TV

    #2 greetings to the tomato plant

    #3 cool socks on the radiator in the background, haha

    ReplyDelete

<centre> New Live Lounge video on Youtube! </centre>

  Check out this first in a collection of Live Lounge videos I'm planning for Youtube.  Fresh from my new little studio in The Clock House!